Its back to reality after a long weekend of family togetherness and food comas! Like most folks, I spent my holiday weekend cooking, driving to various family gatherings, drinking, and eating…ALOT!
While I am a big slacker and didn’t take enough pictures, I made tofurky, mushroom gravy, roasted veggie lasagna and two unsuccessful batches of apple cider caramels (I think my candy thermometer is broken) for the various weekend affairs!
As is fairly typical, there are a ton of leftovers! Normally this weeks lunches and dinners would look something like this……but I am trying to go gluten, dairy and soy free this month! Phil is happily hoarding all the leftovers at his office and in his words: “it may look like dog food but it tastes awesome!”
If you missed it, I said I am going gluten, dairy and soy free for the next couple weeks to see how my body reacts. I figured this few week gap between eating fests would be as good a time as any to try getting back to a simpler way of eating.
Thus far my days have looked something like this:
- ‘chocolate’ pudding with quinoa for breakfast (made with black beans, avocado, applesauce, egg whites, cocoa powder, honey and almond meal).
- water with chia seeds / decaf green tea with lemon
- apple with peanut butter and flax for lunch
- grapefruit and carrot sticks for snack
- water with lemon / herbal tea
- veggie stir fry with quinoa for dinner (coconut oil, sweet onions, garlic, zucchini and squash)
- herbal tea before bed
I know I will need to get more creative if I am going to make it 3 weeks and not feel like I am depriving myself (suggestions are welcome). I am looking forward to experimenting as well as seeing what its like for those with food sensitivities!
I hope everyone enjoys their leftovers this week!
Stay tuned for more on my ‘free December’…this should be interesting!