Hello Friends! I will be back next week with a recap of what I’ve been up to, the end of the Dhyana Yoga Pose-A-Day May Challenge and some progress photos but for now, I need a break. Today, I would simple like to acknowledge the legacy of an amazing woman, Maya Angelou, who just passed. She just celebrated her 86th Birthday last month & has touched many lives for decades with her written & spoken word.
I always found Ms. Angelou to be an incredibly strong woman & she had a potently powerful way with words. There are so much amazing quotes I want to share but the one above, coupled with the photo, resonates with me and the way I try to live. As Ms. Angelou said, it’s how you make people feel that will endure the test of time, not necessarily what you said or what you did – live each moment like it matters!
Until next week friends…
Hey there friends! I am excited to share the third Bulu Box Review with all of you. There was a little confusion about my address so my April & May boxes arrived within a week of each other – don’t be surprised if another review comes yours way in a week or so. None the less this box was awesome, so lets dive right in…
- Grandma’s Lye Soup: I am all about using natural products on your skin and I have been really pleased with this product so far…it washes clean, has a neutral scent and leaves my skin feeling smooth and hydrated.
- WhiteShield: I wasn’t particularly jazzed about this one, but I tried it in a decaf latte & it didn’t change the taste or texture..If it works with red wine, THAT would be something I could get excited about!
- Protein Cereal: I have been secretly thinking that every cereal should be fortified with protein so I was pumped to try this product…particularly when I was stuck in traffic and starving! It tasted great!
- Garden of the Earth Raw Protein: The Raw protein has always appealed to me but the price made me hesitant. Chai Latte wasn’t my favorite flavor but I felt great after drinking it.
- Energy Gummy Bears: I noshed on these suckers when I needed a mid-afternoon boost during a cleaning frenzy and they did the trick – no crazy heart racing or crash & they tasted yummy!
- PMS Relief: I was quite thankful for this & I definitely noticed a difference in headaches, cramping & bloating.
- Simple Diet: I am not a big ‘diet pill’ fan but I ran out of my multi today so I took this – can’t really say I notice results in one use.
- Green Tea Swirl: These intimidate me so I am waiting to bring them this weekend and have the whole family try them out…stay tuned.
Pose-A-Day: Well, the day got away from me, so my Virabhadrasana (Warrior 2) was taken from the comfort of my bedroom – not very exciting. Today’s pose, Urdvha Dhanurasana (Upward Bow) is a personal favorite & will be coming to you from the beach, can’t wait!!
- Breakfast: Banana w/Peanut Butter
- Snack: Sweet Potato Wedges
- Lunch: Hummus w/Carrots
- Snack: Yogurt w/Blueberries & Flax
- Dinner: Goat Cheese & Spinach Flatbread w/marinated olives
- Dessert: Sweet & Salty Popcorn
Hooray for Hump Day! We’re that much closer to the weekend friends & we all know how much I have been digging my weekends these days! On a gloomy Wednesday such as today, I thought it would be a good idea to share a little something we have hanging in the office…
…just a little reminder that sometimes its not what but how we say things that can get us into trouble. I don’t know about anyone else but I am terrible about this sometimes…especially on a muggy, overcast day in the middle of the week when I spent 1 1/2 hrs in traffic getting to work & have a terrible headache (hypothetically speaking of course)!
Even on the worst of days, remember to breathe, smile & take things in stride…there is little we can control in this world, so why not make the most of what we can!?!
Pose-A-Day: After a long bike ride, yesterday’s Prasarita Padottonasana (Wide Legged Forward Fold) felt quite luxurious! I am hoping to find a fun place to take my Virabhadrasana (Warrior 2) shot today, so stay tuned!
- Breakfast: Banana
- Snack: Greek Yogurt w/Bluberries
- Lunch: Hummus w/Carrots & Pita Chips
- Snack: Sweet Potato Wedges
- Dinner: Brown Rice Sushi w/Edamame & Seaweed Salad
- Dessert: Cacao Chia Pudding
Happy Tuesday Friends! I feel like as soon as the warm weather hits, every weekend is an awesome weekend! This past weekend was no exception…awesome visit from my bestie Michelle, long Saturday morning ride/yoga session, swim meet for my athletes Sunday afternoon & amazing Sunday family dinner…can’t beat it!! With all this weekend excitement I’ve been doing my best to stay productive, remain ‘on task’, & get as much done as possible so I can get the most out of each weekend moment! Phil & I have are still doing our best to eat clean…dairy, gluten and sugar keep sneaking in here and there but its par for the course when the weather is warm as far as I’m concerned.
The added indulgences seem to be the natural reward for all the increased activity and my body seems to agree – I am steadily losing 1/2 lb a week…not that I am actively tracking but its an estimate compared to what I weighed when Phil & I finished our Vabulous Life Spring Detox! More than just the weight, I am feeling more confident with my body, I am noticing my increased strength more and more & I am loving the way my clothes fit…I guess I’m doing something right! This week we’re trying to be as clean and conservative as possible with our eating & spending because we’re heading to Avalon NJ Thursday for a LONG memorial day weekend…I am SOOO excited! I have been looking forward to it for months & I am SUPER excited to finally share progress photos!!
Pose-A-Day: Natarajasana (Dancer), Padmasana (Lotus), Parsva Vasisthasana (Wild Thing) & Sirasana (Headstand) are all available on my instagram feed & Prasarita Padottonasana (Wide Legged Forward Fold) will be up later this evening! I am really enjoying this daily yoga fun & I am already looking for similar challenges moving forward to keep the good times flowing…haha!
- Breakfast: 1/2 Banana & Peanut Butter
- Snack: Greek Yogurt w/Blueberries & Pumpkin Seeds
- Lunch: Caprese Salad
- Snack: Hummus & Vegetables w/Pita Chips
- Dinner: Sockeye Salmon w/Sweet Potato Wedges & Wilted Spinach
- Dessert: Cacao Banana Mousse w/Shaved Unsweetened Coconut
Happy Friday Friends! I am so excited for this weekend because my one of my very best friends from college is coming to visit! I haven’t seen here since Phil & I went to visit for Rockaway St. Patty’s Day in March and it feels like forever! In honor of her visit, I am highlighting some more fiesta food, since whenever Michelle is in town, you know its a party!
I made roasted garlic hummus & pita chips as part of the appetizer selection for my BBQ – this nutritious crowd favorite has become my go to for parties, quick snacking & an easy sandwich spread!
Roasted Garlic Hummus & Pita Chips
- 1 can organic chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
- 1 head garlic (roasted @ 450 for 20 min.)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 lemon juiced
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
- pita bread
- salt, pepper, cumin, paprika & cayenne to taste
- chopped parsley to garnish
Start by popping your garlic in the oven, wrapped in tin foil @ 450 for about 20 minutes…you’ll smell when its done! While the garlic cools, grab your food processor and combine the lemon juice & tahini. Allow these two ingredients to whip until they become a paste before adding your roasted garlic (just chop the top and squeeze it out), chickpeas (liquid from the can and all), & seasonings. Allow it all to run in the food processor for a few minutes (stopping to scrape the sides every now and again), and then set in the fridge while you crisp up your chips. Cut pita bread into triangles, toss in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of EVOO and salt, line a baking sheet with the triangles & bake @ 450 for about 5-10 minutes until they’re nice and browned. Remove triangles from baking sheet & cool on a rack. While the chips crisp spoon your hummus into a serving dish, top with remaining EVOO & chopped parsley & you’re all set!
I love adding colorful vegetables to the plate to add color and nutritional value but the hummus & chips are delicious all on their own!
Pose-A-Day: Did some late night yoga & got my Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog) shot from a very interesting angle. Since I am already dancing for joy today’s Natarajasana (dancer) pose should be a fun one…officially half way there!!!
- Breakfast: Coconut Protein Bar
- Snack: Nectarine
- Lunch: Greek Yogurt & Granola
- Snack: Pita Chips & Hummus
- Dinner: Dinner in the City
- Dessert: Miracle Tart (I love these things!)
Have a wonderful weekend wordpress family!
…and just like that without a sound,the blooms came forth & life began…
Don’t forget to notice the beauty of nature, happiness is all around us as long as we remember to look!
Pose-A-Day: As predicted Kurmasana (Tortoise) was quite a challenge but it all worked out…can’t wait until I can clasp my hands…so close! Today’s Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog) is an ‘oldy’ because we do it a million times a practice but a ‘goody’ because I love its versatility – work, rest, or stretch DFD does it all.
- Breakfast: Coconut Protein Bar
- Snack: Greek Yogurt & Strawberries
- Lunch: Tofu Dogs & Carrots
- Snack: Raw Almonds
- Dinner: Whole Wheat Pizza w/Mushrooms, Goat Cheese & Arugula.
- Dessert: Lemon Sorbet
Hello Lovers! Returning to the office after such a lovely day was hard but the bliss from my birthday carried me along today! SO, as promised…a little recap!
My trail ride was amazing…I rode for about 2 hours and took in some beautiful sights. I took so many photos along the way which will slowly start appearing on my instagram feed, so keep an eye out! There is something so uplifting and happy about taking in the purest of beauty…mother nature. I was fortunate enough to have time for some post ride restorative yoga which was such a blessing…I totally needed it!
My amazing man surprised me with not one but two sets of beautiful flowers and took me to a fabulous restaurant for dinner! This is the second birthday I’ve celebrated with Phil and let me tell you, he is just the sweetest! I have been steadily receiving little gifts for the last week and then he takes me to Laurel, which is Nichols Elmis’s (Top Chef Winner) restaurant…talk about hitting a home run! If it wasn’t for the fact it had to end, the day would’ve been perfect 😉 I couldn’t be more blessed to have such amazing people in my life…the out pouring of FB posts, texts, phone calls, etc… just further solidifies I am the luckiest girl around!
Pose-A-Day: The day flew by and I completely forgot to take my Utthita Hasta Padagustasana (Standing big toe hold) shot, so in my PJs & Phil in his boxers, we snuck outside and snapped it quick, haha! Today’s Kurmasana (Tortoise) will prove to be a challenge. I’m excited to see how things unfold…eer, rather how I am going to unfold, haha!
- Breakfast: Vanilla Protein Shake
- Snack: Apple & Peanut Butter
- Lunch: Tofu Dogs w/Mustard & Pickles
- Snack: Carrot Sticks
- Dinner: Poached Cod w/Whole Wheat Pasta Arugula & Lemon
- Dessert: Miracle Tart